Last year, Juneteenth National Independence Day became the 12th legal public holiday, celebrating the emancipation of the last enslaved African Americans. On that day in 1865, Union soldiers led by Gen. Gordon Granger arrived in the coastal city of Galveston, Texas, to deliver General Order No. 3, officially ending slavery in the state.
Because Juneteenth falls on a Sunday this year (June 19, 2022), it will be observed the following Monday, June 20, 2022. Additionally, since Juneteenth is a banking holiday, you may need to do some additional payroll prep next week.
Although Southland Data Processing will be open, transfers will be pushed back a day for check dates on or after the holiday. Direct deposits will also not be live for payrolls with check dates on June 20th.
For your employees to receive their pay by June 20th, you should:
- Change your check date to Friday, June 17
- Send your payroll by 2:00 PM PT on Wednesday, June 15
Other affected check dates that will need to submit early:
- Monday, June 20th – send payroll by 2:00 PM PT on Thursday, June 16th for employees to be paid Tuesday, June 21st
- Tuesday, June 21st – send payroll by 2:00 PM PT on Thursday, June 16th
- Wednesday, June 22nd – send payroll by 2:00 PM PT on Friday, June 17th
We recommend you always check the Transfers section on your Payroll Summary report. Here, you can find your exact transfer amounts and dates.
As always, our team is here to help with any questions you have about your payroll or check dates. We’ll always pick up the phone, so don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have any questions.
From all of us at SDP, we wish you a happy and restful Juneteenth weekend!